Secure ID Documentation Requirements


The following are examples of acceptable documents to bring with you to be issued a Secure ID.

  • Identity Document – An original or certified document to prove WHO YOU ARE such as an original or certified Birth Certificate, US Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, I-551, etc.
  • Your Social Security Card. (A W-2, SSA-1099, or paystub may also be used but must show your full social security number)
  • Two Documents showing Georgia residence (e.g. utility bill, phone bill).
  • Name Change – If your name is currently different than the “identity document” presented (such as birth certificate, passport, etc), you must provide a certified copy with seal; legal name change document (e.g. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc.). NOTE: Document required even if your name is correct on current license/id.
  • Minor’s may present passport; however, proof of guardianship requires original/certified birth certificate or certified court ordered documents.
  • Original immigration documentation must be submitted each time service is requested pertaining to a driver’s license or identification card.
  • Gender Change – A gender update requires applicants to submit a court order or physician’s letter certifying gender change. The letter or court order shall state the person’s name, date of birth, date of gender reassignment operation and other identifying information.

To assist with collecting your documents, DDS has created a Checklist Wizard at www.dds.georgia.gov that will allow you to print a custom checklist of your documents, or you may choose to print the full list of acceptable documents.

Once you are issued a Secure ID with a star in the upper right corner, you should be eligible to conduct future transactions without visiting a center. Download the DDS app, DDS 2 GO, for free to have a licensing office in your pocket!

Important Notice: Beginning October 1, 2020, you will need a Secure ID/Real ID compliant card (with a star in the right corner) to fly within the U.S. or enter federal buildings or nuclear power plant www.dhs.gov.